Gallipoli movie starring Mel Gibson.
|Day 1 :
||Gallipoli documentary "The Fatal Shore"
Time to buy nibblies & water.
||Tour departs from front of the hostel. From here you will drive to the ANZAC Battlefield area to start an emotional & memorable tour.
On tour you will visit:
- Kabatepe War Museum
- Beach Cemetery (John Simpson's Grave)
- ANZAC Cove
- Ari Burnu (First ANZAC landing place)
- Lone Pine Cemetery (Australian memorial)
- Johnston's Jolly (Walk in the ANZAC trenches)
- View Shrapnel Valley
- Turkish Memorial
- The Nek & Walker's Ridge
- Chunuk Bair (Main New Zealand memorial)
- Please tell us before tour if you would like us to research or locate an ANZAC grave. There are no registers out on the peninsula.
- Return to hotel for overnight stay.
|Day 2 :
||Early morning departure form Eceabat where you will cross the Dardanelles & proceed to the ancient site of Troy, 36km south of Canakkale. Our local english speaking guide will walk you around the 9 layers of ancient cities built on top of each other the earliest dating back to 3000 B.C.
The commentary is filled with mythical stories of the site & surrounding areas while filling you in on the history of the excavations past & present. The story of Troy is part-mythology & part-archaeology. Where does the legend stop and history begin? Highlights of the tour include:
- A replica of the wooden horse that you can climb into for a photo.
- City walls dating from early Bronze Age up to the Romans, in all, 9 different settlements.
- Excavation information centre which holds exhibits from the work underway.
- The fortification walls of Troy Vl with its tower & gateway entrance.
- Temple of Athena - the focal point of a great annual festival in honour of the goddess Athena.
- Schliemann’s trench - the discoverer of Troy?
- The entrance ramp to Troy ll.
- The sanctuary - an important religious centre of its time.
- The odeon - intended for the presentation of musical performances.
- Current excavations in progress.
After Troy, back to Eceabat.
- Lunch in Eceabat
- After lunch, drive to vineyard
- Suvla Winery tour
- Suvla is named after a bay in the north cost of the Aegean Sea in Turkey, close to family vineyards Bozokbag. In this region, famous with it’s history, the relationship between vines and soil is going on for centuries.
- Surrounded by pine trees with a smell of intense resin and lavender in the air, the vineyards have the hardpan soil and the northwest wind prevailing the micro climate which provides highly convenient terroir for the maturation of high quality grapes.
- Wine tastes.
- After the Winery tour,
- 17:30 Transfer to Istanbul by TJS TOUR bus.
TOURS RUN DAILY
- Professional English speaking guide.
- All transportation ‘Non Smoking’ bus.
- Museum entrance fee.
- 1 night accommodation
- Ferry ride
- Entrance fees.
- 2 Lunches.
- 1 breakfast
- There are very few toilets in the battlefield area. Go before tour!
- There are also very few bins so please collect your rubbish & put it back on the bus so we can dispose of it responsibly later on.
- Take your bathers/togs/cossies/swimmers for a swim at lunchtime when & if time & weather permits.
- There are no shops at the battlefields, so remember to buy water & nibblies before you leave Eceabat.
- Remember to take sunscreen & a hat if you're not fond of direct sunlight as there is minimal shade available. Shorts are fine to wear on the peninsula but remember to wear sensible shoes as you will be walking on uneven ground at times & there are snakes in the area.
Times change according to the season & weather conditions.